Listen to Colwood Mayor Rob Martin review Colwood superstar council's 3 most recent extraordinary economic development announcements:
- Seaspan Victoria Shipyards centre in the Allendale District
- new Royal Bay Elementary School
- Royal BC Museum Archives re-locating to Colwood Royal Bay
Westshore Business Corridor - an in-depth discussion with Colwood Mayor Rob Martin, Citified Media CEO Mike Kozakowski and Langford Acting Mayor & Councillor Matt Sahlstrom
Colwood Mayor Rob Martin (5:57 - 24:50)
- families are attracted to the Westshore…"the place to be"
- Colwood's focus is on creating prosperity in the household…i.e., household wealth
- Housing affordability
- business support, especially small business
- Development activity:
- Wale Road "hole" - 147 affordable housing units
- Colwood Corners Corridor
- Royal Bay - 2100 residents / 300,000 sq ft commercial 40,000 sq ft supermarket / 10,000 sq ft Day-care
- within the next 5 years we'll see a billion dollars of development spending between all the numerous Royal Bay projects
- Rob reviews how Colwood can help the region in total
- Olympic View, Allendal District and Colwood Corners round out the balance of developments that will generate $2.5 Billion in development activity
What a totally fun podcast Kelly Darwin and I had with Graham Hafey, CEO of V2V Black Hops Brewing Company. We had an in-depth discussion about the 8 fabulous taps at V2V. The top 3 sellers are:
#1 - Brig Blond Ale
#2 - Sea King IPA
#3 - Victory Ale
Other taps include the Langford Lager, the Nigh Shift Dunkel, the Gunpowder Stout, Barley Wine and Fire Hose Gose. We briefly chat about V2V's extraordinary growth in Alberta! We can't wait to chat again soon.
We chatted with Graham Hafey, CEO V2V Black Hops Brewing Company.
- we review the background business objectives to V2V Black Hops brewing
- we chat about the myriad of V2V products (8 beers on tap) and the motivation behind the beer themes
- outdoor patio is open...we chat about re-opening strategies & psychological impact of customers re-initiating demand & their buying environment (must be safe)
- live music entertainment planned
- military movie nights
- we review Graham's overview of the Westshore hospitality business
- Graham reviews his charity oriented business model
- we review government business subsidy programs
We review the Westshore economy with a Langford based Civil Engineering leader (https://www.wbrook.ca/):
- they are busier than ever / construction is busier than ever
- reviewing their digital office transformation (ZOOM, Microsoft Teams)
- we review implementation protocols…brand new skills have been learned…a draft team meeting etiquette has been created
- amazed at the staff productivity from home, but healthy, creative banter is missing…team morale could be impacted…we chat about staff coffees at Timmy's - can they be replaced online?
- "only as strong as your staff" - look after them…Mike talks examples
- a new workplace might remain hybrid (home & office)
- business in Langford hasn't stopped
- revenue has increased for many companies, including Westbrook
We review the last couple of months:
- staff & constituent concerns
- we're now at the "beginning of the middle"
- new concerns:
- how do we re-build?
- what is the new normal?
- how to transition the federal programs to a "new normal" Read the rest of this entry »
In this episode John and Kelly chat with Esquimalt-Metchosin MLA Mitzi Dean about some of the following topics:
- BC's restart phases
- Making more supplies locally
- The Buy BC Program (https://iafbc.ca/buy-bc/)
- Buy BC Partnership Program E-commerce Funding Stream (https://iafbc.ca/buy-bc/buy-bc-partnership-program-e-commerce-funding-stream/)
- What businesses will look like in the "New Normal"
- Schools and how will that work
- The challenges of Digital vs. Personal
Visit Mitzi Deans website here: http://bcndpcaucus.ca/mla/mitzi-dean/
Visit The Westshore Business main site: https://www.westshore.business/
Do you have almost half an hour to spare? Visit 27 minutes with John & Kelly: https://www.27minutes.ca/
- 100,000 masks being distributed (at cost)
- being delivered to businesses
- till shields, face shields and hand sanitizers available via mobile PPE stocked vans
- $1,000 - $2,000 worth of PPE equipment sold daily
- daily one of these PPE supply vans will be parked in front of City Hall for residents
- in-home testing still available
We understand the success of Colwood’s recovery depends on how we help our residents and businesses through these challenging times.
- Last night council passed a 0% residential tax lift and a business tax reduction that over the next 5 years will match the average business rate in the CRD.
In this episode we talk to District of Highlands Mayor Ken Williams about the park closures due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and how the Highlands is British Columbia's most efficient municipality!
Record April 20th 2020
Thanks to View Royal Mayor David Screech for an overview of View Royal's response to the COVID health crisis. Highlights:
- 4 mile pub / 6 mile pub / casino - all major revenue sources for the municipality, all closed
- View Royal staff becoming the defacto information portal for the community
In our first "Recorded" Podcast with Esquimalt-Metchosin MLA Mitzi Dean we talk about a number of topics related to life in the Westshore and across our Province.
Both John and Kelly would like to express our sincere thanks and gratitude to everyone in MLA Deans office that continue to work and help local residents in this very stressful and challenging environment.
COVID-19 Topics and Links
- Small Business BC Covid Information - https://covid.smallbusinessbc.ca/hc/en-us
- WestShore Chamber of Commerce dedicated COVID-19 web page - https://www.westshore.bc.ca/covid19.html
Gender Equity in B.C.
- Mitzi Dean is the Parliamentary Secretary for Gender Equity - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/gender-equityh
We also talked about the co-operative nature and communication between the Municipal, Provincial and Federal Governments.
Esquimalt-Metchosin Constituency Office
In this podcast with Lindsay, Co-owner of Country Bee Honey Farm (6440 West Saanich Rd) discusses:
- their planned walking & pollinating tour
- Lindsay reviews all the farm animals located at their business for folks to visit and enjoy
- we had fun talking about lean-to's...
- there are over 50 bee-hives at the farm
- we chat about Agri-Tourism development on the Peninsula
- likely more stay-cations this summer
- move to local food & support local
- we talk about multi-ZOOM virtual dinner table meetings... :)
We chatted with Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins about Esquimalt's COVID 19 response. She reviewed what has happened, what is happening and most intriguing what will happen in the near future. Listen in to this concisely planned and managed response to our Global Health crisis.
Please note that we conduct these podcasts somewhat on the fly...they're very impromptu...we are certainly not in a recording studio...LOL! But the information needs to get out to the community asap...today Mayor Young reviews:
- his summary of the current status of the of the virus in his community
- his analysis of government recovery and assistance programs:
- a reflection of Langford's in-home testing program
- the new construction site working rules announced April 3rd
We discuss the City of Colwood's:
- response to stopping the spread of COVID-19
- working relationship with the Provincial Health Officer
- preparation for future economic impacts
- immediate budget implications - "moving towards a 0% tax lift"
The Mayor also discusses the emotional & mental impact of this health crisis on the Colwood community.
A chat summarizing COVID-19 government business support programs - Mike Reilly / Financial Flight Planner / Westshore Chamber of Commerce Board President
- Westshore Chamber of Commerce COVID-19 Business & Health Resources web page
- Individual Programs:
- EI Programs - Emergency Response Benefits
- Tax Return & Remittances Deadlines
- GST Credits / Canada Child Benefits
- Deferred Bill Payments
- Business Programs:
- Workshare Program
- 75% Wage Subsidy
- up to $40M in Small Business Cda Government secured business loans
- We all reflect on the mental strains and challenges that small business owners are experiencing during this pandemic
General discussions about:
- re-inforcing practises to keep healthy
- where to find testing kits...how much do test kits cost?
- how testing is a mission one priority
- masks - we need more!
- the necessity of a crisis manager to be a central operations manager
- health care workers are our heroes!
- door to door food delivery precautions
- procurement policies & pipeline politics
- reinforcing strategies to stop community spread:
- stay home
- wash hands
- implement physical distancing
- visit https://covidlangford.com/
- call 778-600-0240 for help
- Langford to implement "In Home Testing" partnering with Forbes Pharmacy
- service to expand to Westshore Communities including View Royal, Metchosin, Colwood & Sooke.
This is the first (March 26th) of a regular series of podcast updates from Mayor Young about the COVID-19 Global Pandemic.
Municipality of Langford resources for help and assistance:
- COVID-19 Langford Response Team - https://covidlangford.com/
- COVID-19 Call Center - 778-600-0240
We have a social distancing appropriate podcast and discuss a myriad of online video conference platforms...and most of the human behaviors that happen when sitting in front of a computer engaging with other digital people...LOL!
We used ZOOM and recorded a video as well...see below...
We start the "Westshore Business" podcast series in the New Year with an informative and exciting update with Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins. Read the rest of this entry »
One of our region's best kept secrets has been the amazing "stuff" going on in Esquimalt…for business…for the community…for the region. Read the rest of this entry »
Welcome to our first podcast of "Seriously Social", the Social Media Department voice of Seriously Creative! We intend to dig deep into the issues, products and implementation related stuff that Small Business employers encounter when intending to take advantage of Social Media marketing for their business. In this episode, we:
- introduce our team of Briana & Kelly...including our guest podcaster John Juricic
- talk about how a small business could get started using Social Media
- talk thru some of the myths & confusion business owners have regarding Social Media Marketing
- generally we make most of the mistakes that a new podcast would make...like...
- John laughing to loud into the Mic...
- John needing to set the Mic setting differently next time so that we're all heard equally...
- John moving the Mic too much...
So other than that, enjoy our first of many podcasts dealing directly with Social Media Marketing implementation for Small Business.
#SOHOsummitt - Kelly Darwin & I are broadcasting from the amazing SOHO Summitt in the glorious Elements Casino in View Royal - celebrating small business! Read the rest of this entry »